Although we enjoy this popular Nigerian snack, and we see it on special occasions, it will be nice to make it at home. This is a short and direct diary of how to make your own puff puff.
Puff puff is actually simple to make. With flour, sugar, and yeast, you can create the dough and fry it. That’s all. Some people like to add an interesting twist of hot spice or ginger. It all depends on your taste and flavor.
3 cups flour (375 grams)
⅔ – 1 cup sugar (133 -201 grams)
½ tsp nutmeg
4 teaspoons “quick rise” yeast (Note: other types of yeast may take longer)
2 cups lukewarm water
4-6cups of frying oil (enough to fill the pan)
In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add some water while mixing the ingredient and stop when the batter is smooth.
- Cover the mixture and set it aside at room temperature for about 40-50 minutes. (Note: leaving the batter out for too long will result in chewy puff puff).
- Place a large pot on medium heat and add oil.
- Once oil is heated, scoop the dough and drop in oil.
- Fry until each scoop of ball is golden all around.
Serve and enjoy.
This video by 9ja Foodie shows a step-by-step instruction for visual learners.