This must be the most unusual, drama-filled debate in the U.S. history of Presidential debate!
Heated exchanges, interruption, complaining, and weird noises filled the air. Audience jeered, clapped, and laughed – even oooh-ed and aahhh-ed as candidates jabbed each other with harsh words. By the middle of the night, the moderator, Lester Holt, could barely finish his questions, thanks to Mr. Trump.
Also, there were arguments on “stamina”, energy, “racial healing”, trade, and fighting ISIS. Honestly, they should have given this debate a different name more fitting for a drama segment. So, next time just grab a popcorn and enjoy the dramatic shot-backs while jotting down the important points from each side.
Here are few of our favorites comebacks and comments from both candidates:
- STAMINA: Moderator asked Trump about a remark he had made that Sec. Clinton lacked a presidential “look.” Trump admitted he said it and add that “she doesn’t have the stamina.” – Comeback: Clinton says, “Well, as soon as he travels to 112 countries and negotiates a peace deal, a cease-fire, a release of dissidents, an opening of new opportunities in nations around the world. Or even spends 11 hours testifying in front of a congressional committee, he can talk to me about stamina.”
- RACIAL HEALING: Moderator asked Trump repeatedly about his role in fueling the birther controversy against President Barack Obama. “What do you have to say to Americans about the need for racial healing?” – Comeback: Trump says, “I say nothing. Because I was able to get him to produce [his birth certificate]. He should have produced it a long time before. I say nothing.” Then, he added how he was not the only one who questioned Obama’s birther at that time; even, Hillary’s current campaign manager and “Wolf Blitzer” tried to get Obama’s certificate. They all failed. “I was the one that got him to produce the birth certificate, and I think I did a good job,” he continued, adding of Clinton, “just like she can’t bring back jobs she can’t produce.”
- Fact Check KNOCKOUT: So, Mr. Trump blasted Hillary Clinton for once calling the Trans-Pacific Partnership as the “gold standard” of trade deals. Clinton shot back that Trump had mis-characterized her position against the deal. “I know you live in your own reality, but those are not the facts,” she said.
Then, she urged viewers to check her website to check the facts. Oh no you don’t! Trump interrupted to give out his own website too. Next, they moved to taxes; after a few exchanges of words, Trump said, “Look at her website. It’s no different than this!” “She’s telling us how to fight ISIS. She tells you how to fight ISIS on her website. I don’t think general MacArthur would like that too much.” Trump continued to point finger at Clinton for the downturn of the U.S. economy and everything – literally.
Trump accused her on the errors of the Obama administration’s fiscal policies; Clinton chuckled and retorted, “I have a feeling by the end of this evening I’m going to be blamed for everything that’s ever happened,” she said. “Why not?” he mused.”Yeah. Why not? Just join the debate by saying more crazy things,” she said.
- TAXES? “I will release my tax returns, against my lawyer’s wishes, when she releases her 33,000 emails that have been deleted,” he said. “As soon as she releases them, I will release my tax returns and that’s against my lawyers say don’t do it.” Clinton urges viewers to ask why he won’t release them. She said, “And I think there may be a couple of reasons. First, maybe he’s not as rich as he says he is. Second, maybe he’s not as charitable as he claims to be. Third, we don’t know all of his business dealings,” she said, adding that he may not have paid any income tax.” COMEBACK: “That makes me smart,” he interjected.
5. Trump also seemed to contemplate losing the presidential race, noting the hotel he just opened on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C. “If I don’t get there in one way, I’m going to get to Pennsylvania Ave. another,” he said.
Check Politico for more details on the ten most memorable moments of last night. Also, Comedy Central humorously gave us the highlights of the night. And if you missed it, we have included the full video after Noah’s funny show.
Watch it below. Laugh and share!