AS TOLD BY A NIGERIAN FOOD JUNKIE….
Okay guys. I have a confession: I am a total food junkie. I am not willing to taste anything, but I am willing to cook everything as long as the end product looks good.
So, lately I have been following different Nigerian food channels on YouTube for the past three weeks to get a taste of how others make their dishes, especially if their cooking styles are different from my traditional ways. Since these channels have quite a number of followers, there must be some ‘good’ to it, right? Of course!
Yours truly have tried a couple of dishes including Efo Egusi, Nigerian Party Jollof, Efo Riro, and my latest love, Nigerian Cuisine’s Ila Alasepo.
Bye bye junk and concoction…unless I am too tired or hungry to cook.
And without further ado, let me introduce you to a new dish I found on YouTube: “Potato and Turnkey Curry Pottage” by the infamous blogger and adventurer, Sisi Yemmie. I love creativity and applaud people who dare to be different and unique.
If you’re looking for something new to cook, Check out the video and recipe below!
- Peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Also chop the green pepper, red pepper and carrots in chunks or whatever size you like. Chop the ginger and onions too in byte sizes.
- Place the pot with 3 cups of water to boil, add the Chicken/turkey stock, add numeric, curry, thyme, and potatoes. Taste for salt before adding your salt and seasoning cube just because you are using already seasoned stock. Cover an allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- In a pan, add the coconut oil, when it is hot, add the chopped onions and ginger, toss for a few seconds, then add green pepper, green chilli, red peppers, carrots and chopped chicken/turkey, stir fry for a minute.
- By now your potatoes should be cooked and still have a bit of stock inside, add the stir fried vegetables to it and combine together. You can add a sprinkle of baking flour now – it gives it a nicer texture and elevates the taste.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes and it is ready! Enjoy!!
Credit: Sisi Yemmie (visit www.sisiyemmie.com for more info).