Dump the heavy ointments and bleach creams. It is time to start taking care of skin the way it deserves. Here are 7 golden tips for a healthier skin…for men and women.
- Wash Pillowcases Frequently: We tend to forget that our pillowcases are breeding grounds for excessive dirt and oil from our hair, skin, and body. The constant buildup of this dirt and bacteria leads to ugly breakouts and other skin related issues. Be sure to wash your pillowcases and bedding frequently; also, go to bed with a freshly washed face to avoid sweat and dirt from getting on your pillowcase. Women, it should be obvious that you do NOT go to bed with makeup on, right? Thank you.
- Skip Toner with Alcohol: Do your best to avoid using toner and sprays that feature alcohol as the main ingredient. Alcohol is a harsh antiseptic that’s known to strip your skin of natural oils; it leaves it dry and scaly. As a result of this, it best not to use these types of toners at all, especially if your skin is sensitive.
- Focus on your Skin Type: There are different skin types: oily, dry, normal, and sensitive. Some people have a combination of both; that is, your face may be mostly composed of dry skin while your body is oily. If you have oily skin and you use Vaseline, it adds to the oil entering your pores. These oils bring bumps and damage the foliage. It contributes to acne and pimples. Find out what your skin type is and use the proper moisturizer for your body.
- Add a Deep Treatment Mask: Although they can be expensive, you can shop for affordable treatment masks. Look for masks that feature ingredients like aloe and cucumber; these naturally sooth and calm the skin. With some, you can even leave on your face overnight while you sleep. Men, there is no shame in doing that either.
- Use moisturizer with SPF: Toward the end of summer, we tend to think we can forget about sunscreen, but that’s not the case. Even for Black or Mixed-race skin types, it is essential. In the fall and winter, we still need to protect our skin from harmful sun rays. Pick a moisturizer that has an SPF of at least 15 in the cooler months. And of course, during those hot summer months, always use stronger SPF before hitting the swimming pool.
- Clean your (Makeup) Brushes Regularly: For ladies, sometimes you are running late for work and there is little time to apply makeup. So you quickly grab the same makeup pouch with all your makeup and brushes that you use every day. Well, did you know that the same dirty brushes you use could be the cause of your skin issues. Always use clean makeup brushes, sponges, and applicator when applying makeup. Your skin will feel refreshed and more alive.
- Clean your hands Before Touching your Face: This seems like a no-brainer. However, you will be surprised by how many people actually rub their face with their hands, washed or not. Wash your hands before rubbing lotion or soap on your body; it prevents germs and other unwanted particles from entering the pores of your skin. It does not turn you into a clean-freak; wash when apply moisturizer or cream on your body. It promotes healthier skin.
Let us know what skin tip works for you.