BY A NAIJA FOOD JUNKIE:
It is so exciting to find new ways of making the same African dishes and discovering new ones too! It is an added bonus to find an African meal that is healthy. Thumbs up!
Today, we are featuring 9ja Foodie as created by Ronke Edoho. 9ja Foodie is a Nigerian food blog with healthy food choices, recipes, and tips. This meal caught my eye, and I would love to share with our iNub readers. It is called Moi Moi Roll-up.
The Roll-up is easy to make and takes about 20 minutes with an-already peeled beans. It looks like a Japanese rolled omelet. Also, it tastes just like Moi Moi, and the only difference is the presentation.
Check out Ronke’s page guys to get new inspirations.
Ingredients (Servings = 2):
- 1 cup peeled beans
- 1/4 medium Onion (Halved)
- 1 Red Pepper (Tatashe) (Halved )
- Small Ginger (peeled)
- 1 Sprig green onion (optional)
- 2 eggs ( 1 boiled, 1 raw)
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 cube maggi
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper Flakes
- Salt – To taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a blender : combine beans, onion, 1 part red pepper, 1 part onion, 1/2 cup water and ginger. Puree to a fine paste
- Chop left over pepper and onion. Slice up the egg and mince the green onion if using. Set aside
- Melt butter. Add in maggi, salt, pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add in pureed beans and raw egg. Mix well using a mixing pin or hand mixer (3-5 minutes).
- Line an oven tray with culinary parchment (or aluminum foil) . Pour in the moimoi batter and spread out evenly. Shake pan gently to distribute.Top with chopped ingredients.
- Bake moimoi for 15 minutes (until lifted at the edges and set)
- As soon as you remove the moimoi from the oven, start the roll. Starting at one short end , peel off parchment until rolled to the end.
- Serve Moimoi roll by itself or with pap, custard or garri.