Are you unemployed or underpaid? Perhaps you’re just tired of your current job? No doubt you’ve heard of how to make money from home gimmicks and other scams out there. What if there is a way to become your own boss, make your own schedule, and increase your income? Well, instead of sitting around, it is time to spark some creativity.
There are several online business ventures you can do on the side (virtual and non-virtual)….and, who knows, it might turn into a career. Here are 47 ideas for creating your own online business and other ways to make real money with your time.
1. Start a Blog: You may not become the next Linda Ikeji or Pat Flynn who made $3 million simply from blogging, but writing interesting blog posts can quickly generate cash for you through ads, affiliate links, and other revenue options. Your blog will need these pay-per-click links or Google Ad Words to bring on decent income.
2. Career coach: There are people out there who needs a support system, someone to guide them on what to do with their businesses and careers. You can take free short classes on Lynda.com, Allison courses, or Coursera to sharpen your skills in Business planning and management. This gives you an edge over others and allows you to charge business owners and individuals on setting career goals and managing their businesses.
3. Amazon Mechanical Turk: The ‘Turk’ asks you to perform some simple tasks on exchange for some change. You probably will not get rich by finishing typical tasks this way, but you can make some extra money if you are willing to do the simple tasks for customers.
4. Online Jury: Easily earn approximately $25 per case when you serve as a juror online. You perform works like a traditional mock jury or focus group via the Internet. Get paid for your participation. Check ejury or onlineverdict.com
5. Event Planner: Do you enjoy starting and completing projects? Are you organized? Event planning may be a good fit for you. The planner ensures the event runs smoothly, small or large. Planners manage corporate meetings, weddings, birthdays, and other selective occasions earning $500 to $50,000 per event depending on experience.
6. Braid/Cut Hair: Although certification is required on most states, it is easier to acquire. Check your state’s beauty license requirement; there are schools with short programs. If you are skilled in styling or braiding hair, this may be your forte.
7. Photography: Do you enjoy taking pictures and capturing moments? Photography is a hobby and perhaps career that is gaining new grounds. You can earn decent income ($202,000) from taking pictures as a portrait photographer. The average salary according to NYF academy is $59,000. Not too bad for a side job or a career.
8. Modeling: Slim or thick, the modeling industry needs you. Earn money from posing for fashion designers and photographers. Some clothing stores and commercial outlets are usually in need of models for their latest wears, commercials, advertising, such as Old Navy, Forever 21, ZuLIlly, etc. If you can find a modeling agent or agency, create a profile notebook with your profile picture and resume, and get ready to work.
9. Ebay: It’s another online garage sale! An easy way to make quick bucks is to post and sell your stuff that you don’t need or use anymore. For people living outside of U.S., this may be harder considering shipping fees; however, for those who are able to, simply create an account, post your items and its description, and you may just get a reasonable bidder.
10: Take Surveys: Some companies pay others to take surveys; you can receive other incentives as well so they can gather valuable consumer data. Look for sites like Cashback or Research.com that are ready to give you cash for your opinions.
11. Facebook Group: Start a Facebook group and make some cash from ads and joining affiliates. Once you create a Facebook account, create a group that will easily attract followers. Most entrepreneur
12. Clean Homes (Maid service): When you really need the extra income, give house cleaning a chance. Maids (not limited to women) make anywhere from $50 to $80 an hour. You can sweep, mop, dust, and re-arrange furniture. If you’re not a manual laborer, you can organize the laborers and get paid for management.
13. Online Teaching: Perhaps a subject you enjoy like Math, Science, or English; your exposure to these courses gives you an advantage over others. Open a course on Udemy or Skillshare, and teach students how to pass exams, tips for SAT/ACT, review basic English or Computer skills, or teach your area of expertise.
14. Bartending: Waiting table is one of the easiest jobs out there. As early as 18 in some states, you can be a waiter or bartender. If you like to mix drinks, bartending can be fast way to make money. Both waiting and bartending can be lucrative in tips.
15. Catering: Cash in on your inner chef, the creative cooking guru inside of you. If you like to cook or have a knack for making delicious pastries, jump into the catering business. Start with making one or two sure meal/snack for family and friends. Then, watch the business and profit grow.
16. Arts/Pictures: There are sites that allow you to sell your pictures, original music, drawings, illustrations, and painting. These sites will give you the option of licensing resale rights for free. That means you pick up royalties (payment) for each use of your pix, videos, or music resulting in longer-term residual income.
17. Sell Bottled water at events: This may seem like a no-brainer, but it requires some efforts. Look for local events – concerts, shows, plays, and public parks. Buy bottled water at the grocery store, store, keep cool in a ice-cooler, and sell to others. $1 per bottle is a reasonable charge and extra profit.
18. Ads on Car: There are companies that will pay you to advertise their business by putting ads on your car. It’s called car wrapping or auto wrap. Get paid $300 to $1000 per month for simply driving your car. Do an online search for “free car promotions”.
19. Travel agent: Your job is to book reservations for clients, give details of their travel, and process payments. Travel agents earn an average of $56,000 annually. This is a job you can work from home because of the flexible schedule. However, it requires networking and being skilled in travel – something you can learn.
20. Musician: Do you enjoy playing an instrument or singing? You can make some cash from playing at local
gigs, public squares, or private events. Share your musical talent with the world and earn some more money.
21. Tutoring: Teach students in the area of your expertise. Also, Tutor.com and TutorVista.com are good places to start. If you are a student, you can advertise in your school, place some fliers around, or ask family and friends to spread the word.
22. Focus groups online: Some companies will pay you to participate in their research method – that’s what a focus group is. These include paid interviews and paid online surveys. You can pick up extra cash for sharing your opinion on consumer products and business processes. Check out cmnty and survata.com.
23. Import/Export: Another great way to make money is to find things in your area that are free or cheap and then sell them online. Many people hunt through local thrift stores for rare collectibles, vintage styles or cheap-as-dirt books or media to mark up and resell online.
24. Online searches and Reviews: If you have some extra time a couple of hours a week, you can perform numerous research tasks on behalf of other people or companies who can’t spend the time to do it themselves. Many organizations and various businesses hire people to research certain subjects or to help them with online investigations everyday. You could be one of them.
25. Online shopper: You can be an online shopper aka cash-back shopping. Make money by earning a small commission for each purchase you make via rebate stores’ direct link. To say thanks, they pass a portion of these earnings on to you. Check out stores like Swagbucks. Also, you can earn up to 4% cash-back from Amazon, 3% at Wal-Mart, or 8% cash at Expedia.
26. House/Apartment rental: Airbnb is a popular site known for giving you cash back for renting out your apartment. You can set a minimum nights stay if you plan to go out of town for a week or weekend. Also, think of subletting your space if you have extra room, but make sure you screen the guest and check with your landlord.
27. Babysit: Do you like working with kids? As archaic and probably old-fashion as it may sound, babysitting is a sure way to earn extra cash. Some experience may be required; however, you can earn $12-$25 per hour. Make sure your criminal background check is clean and post your profile to sites like babysitter.com to make extra cash.
28. Freelance writer: Do you have a passion for writing? Do you believe you have some writing talent? If earning money by writing gets your blood moving, there are numerous websites offering assignments for aspiring and experienced writers alike.
29. Sell Older Electronics: Do you have a compute, laptop or cell phone you no longer use? These and other tech items, although built with former generation features, often have value to others.
30. Ebay: he dramatic growth and success of eBay has spawned many competitors featuring auctions or online marketplaces for diverse items. Whether you want to clean out your closet and sell your designer clothing online, or develop a high-volume online store, you can make extra money or big dollars on these sites.
31. Self-Publish e-Books: If you love to write and believe you can write an entertaining fiction or non-fiction book, consider authoring and publishing a digital book through Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing platform.
32. Create Niche Websites Featuring Google AdSense Ads: Creating popular niche sites like guitars, immigration, computers, shoes, parenting, politics, healthy food, fitness, etc can grab visitors looking for specialized information. When you add Google AdSense ad links, it can be a great way to monetize the site.
33. Upload YouTube Videos and Get Paid for Ad Views: You don’t need to invest in expensive video equipment. Just learn how to use your smartphone’s video capability to upload entertaining or informative videos and opt to have ads play before your videos to get a bit of cash for each video view — that’s how YouTube star PewDiePie earned $4 million in one year.
34. App design: If you design apps for popular companies or small business owners (which is harder than it sounds), you’ll be amazed with the income they generate. Offering one or more apps at the iTunes or Android app store gives your creations wide exposure to prospects, and income can be generated by charging for the app, displaying in-app ads, or charging for in-app features and upgrades.
35. Sell Your Time and Talents: A site such as Fiverr promotes members’ talent in multiple disciplines and connects them to people looking to pay for those skills. For example, should you be a digital photo editing guru, you might find freelance projects you can complete for compensation.
36. Be a Virtual Expert: Do you have in depth expertise about a specific hobby or any other subject? You could create a website that offers your expertise to others for a price and delivers it virtually. For example, you can offer music lesson over Skype, Imo, or video conference for a fee or charging for access to a series of video lessons on gardening. This is becoming a popular way to make money online.
37. Amazon Associate: This program allows you to earn money by including affiliate links to different products offered by Amazon. When a visitor views your blogs or social media pages and clicks through the Amazon links on your site, you will earn commissions from Amazon on products bought during that session.
38. Life Coach: Due to people’s strong interest in quality of life and work-life balance issues, life coaches have grown in popularity. Life coaching can be successful if you possess common sense, a respect for family and a commitment to enjoy life to the max every day and helping others do the same. Start by posting inspiration posts online and promoting yourself as a life coach.
39. Promote Commercial Organizations on Social Media Pages: Many major retailers will pay you for promoting their businesses on your websites and social media pages. For example, electronics retailer Best Buy offers gift cards and products for people promoting Best Buy’s products on their blogs or social media pages.
40. Get Crafty: For those who like to make handcrafted items, websites such as Etsy are ideal to make some money off of such hobbies.Those dedicated to hand-crafts should check Etsy and similar sites to find the best fit for their products.
41. Virtual Assistant: There are freelance sites, such as the popular oDesk, that often have jobs for virtual assistants. Just as with physical assistant positions, you will get paid for helping executives with a wide variety of tasks.
42. Sell Customized T-shirts Online: Selling graphic t-shirts is big business. Customized t-shirts with clever sayings or graphics are ideal for online sales. Sites like Teespring allow you to sell customer shirts. Teespring’s unique model allows you to design the shirt, get buyers lined up to purchase, and then actually produces the design and ship it to buyers. This save you from the initial investment in stock and the time on processing and shipping orders, though you’ll likely make a smaller profit on each shirt sold.
43. Third-Party Seller on Amazon: If you’ve visited Amazon, you have seen products sold by third-parties with the comment “ships from Amazon.” These are sellers who send their products to Amazon fulfillment facilities, then Amazon lists the item and ships it when a buyer is found. It’s a great way to resell like-new items like video games, textbooks and more.
44. Buy Domain Names for Resale: Some people have made big dollars by owning desired domains and selling them to hungry buyers. For a minimum investment of buying domain names you feel will be popular (typically $10 to $20), you might make a big profit selling it down the line.
45. Rent Available Space in Your Driveway or Reserved Parking Spot: Parking is very expensive in most commercial cities. Renting an unused space in your driveway or vacant lot can generate additional income. Advertising availability on Craigslist exposes this opportunity to others around and up-and-coming apps like JustPark and Park Circa also allow you to easily rent out your parking space when not in use.
46. Teach an Online Course: You can work with an established group like Kaplan for, say, SAT tutoring, or you could try hanging out your own shingle and making your services known either to students, parents and schools in your community. If you are targeting adults, you can create your own website or list your services with adult tutoring companies.
47. Social Media Consultant: . As a consultant for social media, you can effectively steer small business owners or large corporations in the right direction concerning ideal tactics, implementing schedules, and posting content regarding their target audience. Therefore, as their business grows, so will yours.